Djúpivogur

Is located on Berufjörður. The district is large, spanning from Streiti on Berufjörður coast in the north to the middle of Hvalnesskriður in the south. Djúpivogur has been a trading post since merchants from Hamborg were granted trading rights in 1589. A good, natural harbour was the foundation for one of the largest fisheries centres in the east until the end of the 19th century. Löngubúð warehouse, one of the oldest commercial buildings in Iceland (oldest part dates from 1790), now houses memorial exhibitions commemorating sculptor Ríkarður Jónsson (1888-1977) and government minister Eysteinn Jónsson (1906-1993). A short distance from the shore are numerous islands, for example Papey, which has the oldest and smallest wood church in Iceland, dating from 1807.
 
Hamarsfjörður and Álftafjörður are the southernmost fjords in the east. Álftafjörður could be called a lagoon, and there is a small settlement of the same name leading up from it. The settlement in Hamarsfjörður has been abandoned. Hamarsá river is one of the most powerful rivers coming down from the eastern highlands. North of Hamarsfjörður are liparite rock slides that are impressive due to their red colouring.

 Hiking trails:

  • Hálsaskógur woods– hiking routes decorated with artwork by the youngest inhabitants of Djúpavogur.
  • Bird watching in the vicinity of Djúpivogur
  • Búlandstindur, Forestry Djúpivogur, marked hiking paths.
  • Búlandsnes, a diverse bird habitat, hiking paths, hiking maps.







Wall of Ideas