Þingeyri in Ísafjarðarbær

Þingeyri, situated on the southern part of Dýrafjörður fjord, is one of the oldest trading posts in the Westfjords. Þingeyrarkirkja church was consecrated in 1911. It was designed by Rögnvaldur Ólafsson (1874-1917). The altarpiece is by the painter Þórarinn B. Þorláksson (1867-1924).

Þingeyri was once the site of an 18th century storehouse or warehouse dating back to 1734, which is now being reconstructed. It is considered one of the oldest buildings in Iceland. Þingeyri served as a base for halibut fishermen from the USA in the late 19th century. French seamen were also frequent guests there. The fishing industry accounts for most of the employment in Þingeyri, although other industries also offer work, including a growing tourism industry. The oldest working machine shop in Iceland is in Þingeyri. The shop, which began operations in 1913 and has been kept virtually in its original state, bears the name of Guðmundur J. Sigurðsson. It serviced both domestic and foreign ships and was renowned both within Iceland and abroad. The shop is open to visitors.






Wall of Ideas