Kópavogur

Kópavogur has in recent years been the second largest town in Iceland and is now connected to Reykjavík. Early in the 20th century there was no real settlement but in 1936 the authorities began handing out new terrain on the peninsula between Kópavogur and Fossvogur. At first, the people of Reykjavík used these to build summer cottages, but little by little they became all-year residences. During the war years and through the middle of the century a large number of people settled in Kópavogur, and many of them came from outside of Reykjavík. This is when city planning began and new residential areas were designed. In 1950 the town counted 1650 inhabitants but only fifteen years later this number had risen to 9000. In recent years they have increased greatly. Commerce, services are the main industries. 
 

Places of interest

  • Kópavogskirkja church. The church is located on the hill Borgarholt and from there you get great view over Kópavogur and surrounding area. The church was opened on December 16th, 1963 and is the oldest church in Kópavogur.   
  • Álfhóll by Álfhólsvegur, is the best known fairy dwelling in Kópavogur
  • Víghólar have been declared as natural monument since1983
  • Borgarholt, also known as the Borgir where declare as protected natural areas in 
  • Gerðarsafn museum 
  • Salurinn, Kópavogur Concert Hall
 







Wall of Ideas